Christians who believe Jesus Christ is Lord (fully God and fully man), that He must be your Lord in order to be your Savior, and that salvation is all God's doing and none of ours. Most of us are from the PMR group (Pretty Much Reformed)


    Puritan Board

    Share
    avatar
    Adam
    Admin

    Posts : 177
    Join date : 2009-02-10
    Age : 48

    Puritan Board

    Post by Adam on Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:48 pm

    If you're strongly "reformed" and submit to the confession(s) the PB is a wonderful, Godly resource! I've been blessed there greatly over the years.

    Note: If you do not submit to the confessions (they list them there) then please know that you cannot join. Do not sin and misrepresent yourself in your application to join.
    avatar
    elnwood

    Posts : 36
    Join date : 2009-02-11

    Re: Puritan Board

    Post by elnwood on Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:08 am

    Adam wrote:If you're strongly "reformed" and submit to the confession(s) the PB is a wonderful, Godly resource! I've been blessed there greatly over the years.

    Note: If you do not submit to the confessions (they list them there) then please know that you cannot join. Do not sin and misrepresent yourself in your application to join.

    If you join, you'll also find out whether you're actually "reformed" or not.

    Hey, where's the can of worms icon when you need it?

    Pilgrim

    Posts : 72
    Join date : 2009-02-10

    Re: Puritan Board

    Post by Pilgrim on Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:39 pm

    I thought I was Reformed when I joined only to reassess things a few years later and realized that I'm not, at least by a strict definition.
    avatar
    Ivan

    Posts : 72
    Join date : 2009-02-11
    Location : Beloit, Wisconsin, USA

    Re: Puritan Board

    Post by Ivan on Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:08 pm

    I subscribe to the 1689, but that being said I don't worry about it. In the essential doctrines I'm fine there. There are certain subjects I avoid. I'm not going to change and they aren't going to change. Period.


    _________________
    Ivan Schoen, Pastor
    Maranatha Baptist Church
    Poplar Grove, Illinois, USA

    www.maranatha-sbc.com
    avatar
    elnwood

    Posts : 36
    Join date : 2009-02-11

    Re: Puritan Board

    Post by elnwood on Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:30 pm

    You'll also discover that everybody you thought was Reformed aren't really Reformed! For example, almost all of Monergism's Hall of Contemporary Reformers:
    John Piper
    R. C. Sproul
    Tim Keller
    John MacArthur
    Al Mohler
    C. J. Mahaney
    D. A. Carson
    Mark Dever
    John Frame
    James M. Boice
    J. I. Packer

    Who knew?

    http://www.monergism.com/thethreshold/articles/bio/contempreform.html

    Jonathan Hunt

    Posts : 20
    Join date : 2009-02-10
    Location : Cheltenham, England

    Re: Puritan Board

    Post by Jonathan Hunt on Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:23 am

    The PB is like everything else online, it is what it is. You take the stuff that is helpful and stay away from what does not profit you. It is a private board like any other. Whilst I do not agree with many things that have been said and done, I support the right of the owners of the board to say and do as they see fit.
    avatar
    Adam
    Admin

    Posts : 177
    Join date : 2009-02-10
    Age : 48

    Re: Puritan Board

    Post by Adam on Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:51 am

    as do I


    _________________
    Help spread the word about "Fisher's of Men"!
    avatar
    elnwood

    Posts : 36
    Join date : 2009-02-11

    Re: Puritan Board

    Post by elnwood on Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:15 pm

    Jonathan Hunt wrote:The PB is like everything else online, it is what it is. You take the stuff that is helpful and stay away from what does not profit you. It is a private board like any other. Whilst I do not agree with many things that have been said and done, I support the right of the owners of the board to say and do as they see fit.

    Agreed. They do have the legal right to do as they see fit. My purpose is, in a thread that recommends their forum, to point out more clearly what they believe.

    That they are a "Reformed" board, or even a "Confessionally Reformed" board, does not fully describe their limits on Reformed orthodoxy, and I think that people ought to know this before they join. I'm sure they would support their beliefs being made known more clearly.

    A list of who they don't consider Reformed is much more illustrative of what they believe Reformed to mean than simply "they hold to the confessions."
    avatar
    Adam
    Admin

    Posts : 177
    Join date : 2009-02-10
    Age : 48

    Re: Puritan Board

    Post by Adam on Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:28 pm

    Good enough, they are indeed very STRICTLY reformed. That's why/where I came up with the idea of being only "PMR" (pretty much reformed) Smile


    _________________
    Help spread the word about "Fisher's of Men"!

    Wannabee

    Posts : 1
    Join date : 2009-02-10

    Re: Puritan Board

    Post by Wannabee on Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:56 pm

    Jonathan Hunt wrote:The PB is like everything else online, it is what it is. You take the stuff that is helpful and stay away from what does not profit you. It is a private board like any other. Whilst I do not agree with many things that have been said and done, I support the right of the owners of the board to say and do as they see fit.

    Heh. I don't even agree with many things I've posted there. Still reforming...
    avatar
    MrMerlin777

    Posts : 47
    Join date : 2009-02-11
    Age : 49
    Location : Cruising the web.

    Re: Puritan Board

    Post by MrMerlin777 on Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:33 am

    Adam wrote:If you're strongly "reformed" and submit to the confession(s) the PB is a wonderful, Godly resource! I've been blessed there greatly over the years.

    Note: If you do not submit to the confessions (they list them there) then please know that you cannot join. Do not sin and misrepresent yourself in your application to join.

    They do allow some on a case by case basis that do not "strictly subscribe". But one is not allowed to discuss issues deemed out of accord with the confessions, unless of course one is explaining why said issue is wrong and the confession is correct.

    Yep the PB is a great resource but be advised it is strictly confessional.
    avatar
    elnwood

    Posts : 36
    Join date : 2009-02-11

    Re: Puritan Board

    Post by elnwood on Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:26 pm

    MrMerlin777 wrote:They do allow some on a case by case basis that do not "strictly subscribe". But one is not allowed to discuss issues deemed out of accord with the confessions, unless of course one is explaining why said issue is wrong and the confession is correct.

    Yep the PB is a great resource but be advised it is strictly confessional.

    That is my experience as well. It was good for finding out the "strictly confessionally reformed" view on anything, but not a good place for forming your own views since free discussion was often restrained and censored.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Puritan Board

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:52 pm