Christians who believe Jesus Christ is Lord (fully God and fully man), that He must be your Lord in order to be your Savior, and that salvation is all God's doing and none of ours. Most of us are from the PMR group (Pretty Much Reformed)

Motivation in Evangelism

larryjf

Motivation in Evangelism

Post by larryjf on Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:05 pm

Saw a good video the other day and part of it dealt with our motivation in Evangelism.

Is our main motivation to save those poor sinners from an eternity in Hell? If so, it seems that our end is the happiness of man.

Is our main motivation more along the lines of the Moravian missionaries, “May the Lamb that was slain receive the reward of His suffering”

Pilgrim

Re: Motivation in Evangelism

Post by Pilgrim on Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:15 pm

I read Ryle's Expository Thoughts on Mark 10 yesterday:

Wherever our Lord went, He was always about His Father's business, preaching, teaching, and labouring to do good to souls. He threw away no opportunity. In the whole history of His earthly ministry, we never read of an idle day. Of Him it may be truly said, that He "sowed beside all waters," and that "in the morning He sowed His seed, and in the evening withheld not His hand." (Isaiah xxxii. 20. Eccles. xi. 6.)

And yet our Lord knew the hearts of all men. He knew perfectly well that the great proportion of His hearers were hardened and unbelieving. He knew, as He spoke, that most of His words fell to the ground uncared for and unheeded, and that so far as concerned the salvation of souls, most of His labour was in vain. He knew all this, and yet He laboured on.

Let us see in this fact a standing pattern to all who try to do good to others, whatever their office may be. Let it be remembered by every minister and every missionary, —by every schoolmaster and every Sunday-school teacher, —by every district visitor and every lay agent,—by every head of a house who has family prayers,—and by every nurse who has the charge of children. Let all such remember Christ's example, and resolve to do likewise. We are not to give up teaching, because we see no good done. We are not to relax our exertions, because we see no fruit of our toil. We are to work on steadily, keeping before us the great principle, that duty is our's and results are God's. There must be ploughmen and sowers,
    as well as reapers and binders of sheaves. The honest master pays his labourers according to the work they do, and not according to the crops that grow on his land. Our Master in heaven will deal with all His servants at the last day in like manner. He knows that success is not in their hands. He knows that they cannot change hearts. He will reward them according to their labour, and not according to the fruits which have resulted from their labour. It is not "the good and successful servant," but the " good and faithful servant," to whom He will say, "enter thou into the joy of thy Lord."* (Matt. xxv. 21.)
    MrMerlin777

Post by MrMerlin777 on Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:34 pm

larryjf wrote:...Is our main motivation more along the lines of the Moravian missionaries, “May the Lamb that was slain receive the reward of His suffering”

I really must remember this quote.

That's powerfull stuff!

Indeed, even our reasons for evangelism should be centered in Christ and not simply keeping souls out of Hell.
    Adam
    Admin

Post by Adam on Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:01 pm

As for me, for as long as I can remember I've just had this passion to share the truth of the gospel with any and everyone. My weakness is getting frustrated at so many's disgust towards it. It's so sad and difficult to see and hear people simply not want anything to do with Christ, the bible, or truth for many reasons. I'm not even talking about them being "hostile" just simply treating the Lord as if He's a bother or annoyance to them.

That path truly is very narrow.

Post by larryjf on Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:11 pm

Adam wrote:

That path truly is very narrow.
    As Thomas Watson said (paraphrasing): the gate may be narrow, but we have hope because it is open.
    Adam
    Admin

Post by Adam on Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:28 pm

True! My experience though is far too often people on the broad road confused and sometimes even laughing at anyone who would take that tiny little path that's hard to walk on. They don't even want to talk about or consider in ANY way the destination of either path. It's all about now.

Post by larryjf on Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:38 pm

Adam, that's true. Certainly not only in our time but ever since the Gospel has been preached.

We have the advantage of knowing that those whom God has chosen will be drawn to Him, and the Gospel that we preach will be the means by which they are drawn.

What an awesome confidence we can have because it's the Gospel of God and not man!
    What an awesome encouragement to know that it will be effective for the elect!
    GMcClain20

Post by GMcClain20 on Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:37 pm

Larry the quote you mentioned is from Paris Reidhead's sermon "Ten Shekels and a Shirt" I think. If you haven't listened to it I highly recommend listening to the whole thing.

Here's a link to it: http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=710081423448

Where I blog http://voiceoffellowship.com/

"Only the predestined inhabitants of the eternal city know how to conduct themselves in a simple tent as kings and princes of God." Geerhardus Vos
    larryjf

Post by larryjf on Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:47 pm

Thanks Travis...i will check it out.
    Vtwin

Post by Vtwin on Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:07 am

larryjf wrote:Saw a good video the other day and part of it dealt with our motivation in Evangelism.

Is our main motivation to save those poor sinners from an eternity in Hell? If so, it seems that our end is the happiness of man.

Is our main motivation more along the lines of the Moravian missionaries, “May the Lamb that was slain receive the reward of His suffering”

My motivation is comparable to the parable of the Pearl of great price. This guy finds a very valuable pearl and sells all he has, and forsakes everything to go and buy the field it's buried in, so he can possess it. IMO, we as Christians should have that type of motivation. We must be willing to forsake the world and it's opinion of us and not be ashamed to, or too lazy, or apathetic to witness to people. I don't necessarily subscribe to confrontational evangelism, I think the more subtle approach seems to have better results... at least in my experience. All though I have taken part in "The way of the master" class in the Church I was attending all last summer. Their methods are very well thought out. When we place God's saving love as the most valuable thing in our lives, that alone will motivate us.
    larryjf

Post by larryjf on Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:27 pm

Vtwin wrote:
    My motivation is comparable to the parable of the Pearl of great price. This guy finds a very valuable pearl and sells all he has, and forsakes everything to go and buy the field it's buried in, so he can possess it. IMO, we as Christians should have that type of motivation. We must be willing to forsake the world and it's opinion of us and not be ashamed to, or too lazy, or apathetic to witness to people. I don't necessarily subscribe to confrontational evangelism, I think the more subtle approach seems to have better results... at least in my experience. All though I have taken part in "The way of the master" class in the Church I was attending all last summer. Their methods are very well thought out. When we place God's saving love as the most valuable thing in our lives, that alone will motivate us.
    Very interesting.
    We should also keep in mind that the parable of the pearl, contextually, is not about evangelism but about personal apprehension of the kingdom of God.
    Ivan

Post by Ivan on Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:19 pm

The way of the Master is good stuff!

www.maranatha-sbc.com
    Vtwin

Post by Vtwin on Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:50 pm

larryjf wrote:
    Very interesting.
    We should also keep in mind that the parable of the pearl, contextually, is not about evangelism but about personal apprehension of the kingdom of God.

True, but shouldn't our motivation for evangelism come from our apprehension of the Kingdom ? Isn't that what our prize is ? That is why we struggle now, because of our eternal reward.
    spokenfor

Post by spokenfor on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:08 pm

larryjf wrote:Saw a good video the other day and part of it dealt with our motivation in Evangelism.

Great post, Larry. Indeed, that would be exactly how I've been looking at it and I need to remember to put Christ as central - not the saving from hell as central.

Do you have a link to the video you go this from?
    larryjf

Post by larryjf on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:39 pm

It's from a video that pulls different messages together...i thought it was pretty awesome.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:52 pm