Fisher's Of Men

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christians who believe Jesus Christ is Lord (fully God and fully man), that He must be your Lord in order to be your Savior, and that salvation is all God's doing and none of ours. Most of us are from the PMR group (Pretty Much Reformed)

2 posters

My short testimony

Adam
    Adam
    Admin

My short testimony Empty My short testimony

Post by Adam Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:44 pm

I grew up in a small town "Church of God" (Wesleyan) and walked the aisle during a revival service when I was twelve. I want to believe I was saved at that point but I am not completely certain. I went through so many changes over the years from Charismatic, to Calvary Chapel. I followed heretics like Benny Hinn for a few years even! (ugh)

Finally I read John MacArthur's "Hard to Believe" and it changed my life. I saw the scriptures in a new and refreshing way and really got serious about my faith. I became "PMR" (Pretty Much Reformed)at that point and grew to believe in Calvinism's 5 points.

I love the confessions (West Minster and London Baptist) but I am not a strict Sabbatarian (I do set it aside for Church) and am a Credo baptist after years of study and struggle between that and paedo baptism. I won't call paedo baptists sinners though and ask any member here not to do so either.

I study the bible but nearly as much as I should or want to. I love Wretched Radio, John Piper, RC Sproul, John MacArthur, and Albert Mohler but especially Paul Washer! Oh if I could preach like Paul Washer.

I can be pretty "hard" in my beliefs and feelings and evangelism is my passion. I weep for the lost and do what I can to try and reach the sheep. Thus the name of this forum. I pray you bear with me in grace as this community grows. I hope to surround myself with Godly men and women to here to help me run it well.
    Pilgrim

My short testimony Empty Re: My short testimony

Post by Pilgrim Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:05 pm

Adam,

What kind of Church of God were you a part of? Anderson, Cleveland, etc?

I was a member of The Wesleyan Church for a couple of years, but I think in many ways it was atypical of that denomination. The preacher was heavily influenced by MacArthur and preached expository sermons, verse by verse. He had also given up the "altar call" fairly early in his ministry. He openly disavowed entire sanctification as well and said he wasn't the only minister who did so. (In other words, in some respects he is a bad Wesleyan, even unconfessional in some respects from their point of view! LOL.)
    Adam
    Adam
    Admin

Post by Adam Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:06 pm

It was based out of Ohio and used alter calls constantly. I surrender all and Just as I am am are very, very familiar to me. What a Face
    Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:25 pm

Adam wrote:It was based out of Ohio and used alter calls constantly. I surrender all and Just as I am am are very, very familiar to me. What a Face

How about "Softly and tenderly, Jesus is calling, calling for you and for me?"

I think some of those songs (especially Just As I Am) aren't necessarily bad, but no doubt they have been ruined for many through their use in manipulative invitations.
    Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:35 pm

One of my favorite hymns and the perhaps the best evangelistic hymn or hymn of invitation (broadly construed) is Come Ye Sinners, Poor and Needy

Come, ye sinners, poor and needy,
    Weak and wounded, sick and sore;
    Jesus ready stands to save you,
    Full of pity, love and power.

Refrain

I will arise and go to Jesus,
    He will embrace me in His arms;
    In the arms of my dear Savior,
    O there are ten thousand charms.

Come, ye thirsty, come, and welcome,
    God’s free bounty glorify;
    True belief and true repentance,
    Every grace that brings you nigh.

Refrain

Come, ye weary, heavy laden,
    Lost and ruined by the fall;
    If you tarry till you’re better,
    You will never come at all.

Refrain

View Him prostrate in the garden;
    On the ground your Maker lies.
    On the bloody tree behold Him;
    Sinner, will this not suffice?

Refrain

Lo! th’incarnate God ascended,
    Pleads the merit of His blood:
    Venture on Him, venture wholly,
    Let no other trust intrude.

Refrain

Let not conscience make you linger,
    Not of fitness fondly dream;
    All the fitness He requireth
    Is to feel your need of Him.

Refrain
    Adam
    Adam
    Admin

Post by Adam Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:19 pm

Great song! I actually don't mind "I surrender all" at all. Softly and Tenderly makes Jesus look weak and sad but it can stick in my head when I hear it!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:47 pm