Fisher's Of Men

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christians who believe Jesus Christ is Lord (fully God and fully man), that He must be your Lord in order to be your Savior, and that salvation is all God's doing and none of ours. Most of us are from the PMR group (Pretty Much Reformed)

4 posters

Synod of Dort

elnwood
    elnwood

Synod of Dort Empty Synod of Dort

Post by elnwood Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:07 pm

I know the Canons of Dort is one of the great Reformed Creeds, but the Synod not only declared the Arminian Remonstrants to be in error, but that they were condemned as heretics and outside the faith.

While I definitely think the Remonstrants were in error, I don't think these Arminians were outside the faith. What do you think? Was the synod correct in declaring them heretics? For those of you who fully subscribe to the Canon of Dorts, do you consider this as central?
    Adam
    Adam
    Admin

Synod of Dort Empty Re: Synod of Dort

Post by Adam Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:33 pm

I've struggled with this for a few years now. Part of me finds Arminianism to be heresy. I just can't see thinking YOU did anything to be saved as "ok". If you take it as far as you can go it comes down to a "work", you have to do "something" or there is "something" in you that gets you saved. I often wonder if we don't pay enough attention to Dort in that regard.
    Bulgakov
    Bulgakov

Post by Bulgakov Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:30 pm

I have trouble calling it heresy. Problematic, to be sure. How is one defining heresy? If it is simply analyzing and showing the danger of Arminian teaching, well and good. If they are heretics because they are not Calvinists, well we have just anathematized most of church history.
    Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:26 pm

I honestly haven't ever studied the Synod of Dort or the Three Forms in much detail. I'm not prepared to call someone who isn't a 5 pointer a heretic, although of course many are. There are some heretics who affirm the 5 points as well.
    Bulgakov
    Bulgakov

Post by Bulgakov Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:43 am

One thing someone pointed to me that helped:

We need to see our traditions as "systems of truth" rather than "truth" itself. If we fail that distinction, then it is hard for people before the 1630s to be in heaven, since they didn't have the truth.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 11:07 am